Oh, these Mediterranean afternoons! Yesterday afternoon, we celebrated the last day of July with a small tea event. The equation was:
Earl Grey tea + muffins rich in cinnamon and raisins = amazing flavour explosion!
The muffins were super easy and fast to make. What I do is follow some steps to create a muffin “base”, in which I add anything I feel like tasting on that particular day.
To prepare the muffins, you will need:
1 big egg
75 ml melted and cooled butter (I prefer salted, but it can also be unsalted)
125 ml milk (I always prefer unsweetened condensed milk, but you can also use any full-fat milk)
100 g brown sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup raisins of your choice
200 g self raising flour (or plain flour with 1.5 tsp baking powder)
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
The ingredients are enough for 9 big muffins. It will take less than an hour to prepare and bake everything.
1. Beat everything lightly, for as little as possible -just to have the ingredients combined. Do not overmix them!
2. You can subtract the raisins/cinnamon/nutmeg, to get a simple muffin “base”, in which you can add anything you want: chocolate chips, biscuit pieces, chocolate powder and orange zest…
1. Preheat the oven to 180·C and line the muffin tray with special paper cases.
2. In a big bowl, beat the egg in low speed for about a minute. Add the butter and mix it in low speed for a minute. Add the milk and mix again. Add the sugar and the vanilla extract and mix again until combined. Stir in the raisins.
3. In another bowl, add and mix with a spoon the dry ingredients: sift in the flour, the cinnamon, the nutmeg and the salt.
4. Add the dry ingredients in the wet mixture and mix for some seconds, just until everything is combined. Do not overmix them!
5. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases (don’t exceed the 2/3 of the paper case height) and pop the tray into the oven for 20-25 min. My muffins always take 20 minutes sharp, so be careful! Every oven is different. I would suggest your start checking the muffins after 18 minutes. You can always insert a skewer in the middle of the muffin to check if it is fully cooked.
6. Enjoy your creation! : )
It is the best thing you can offer to your family or significant other, during a lovely afternoon together!
Did you try out this recipe? Then don’t forget to leave us your comments down below!